Saturday, October 20, 2012

Freshpet – A Dog Food Review



I enjoy researching dog foods for my blog.  I not only acquire valuable information, but I am also anxious to pass on the information to my readers so they can become educated, informed pet parents.  I have certainly learned a lot in recent months regarding canines and over the past several years, and it causes me to realize how much more there is out there to know, find out, research and post about.

I recently noticed in the grocery store I frequent (Meijer), they were revamping their pet area, that they were going to start carrying ‘Freshpet’ foods.  The refrigerator for it was in place, and an information pamphlet available, but they hadn’t stocked any of the food yet.  I thought I’d see something similar many months ago at Kroger, so I took one of the pamphlets to check it out.

This morning I sat down and researched the  Freshpet website (www.freshpet.com), pouring over the information, and researching and reading further, as many of my blogs lead me to ‘check out’ and verify certain facts.  On top of my extensive background in human nutrition and my current studies in canine nutrition, I am able to sort through all this and present reliable conclusions to my findings.

To my regular blog readers, you know how I feel about the mainstream dog food manufacturers.  There are few I am impressed with.  I love it when I come across a dog food I can give a ‘thumbs up’ to, because sadly it doesn’t happen too often! The past decade has given consumers much information on health and nutrition.  There is a newer awareness of the need to take care of ourselves as responsible humans.  I am thrilled to see this is finally catching on in the animal world, especially with our domesticated companions, that they too need to be cared for properly when it comes to health and nutrition.  Pouring a bowl of dry dog food isn’t enough to ‘cut it’ in the 21st Century for these furry little creatures we consider to be part of our family.

Freshpet products are made in small batches with human-grade meats and vegetables.  They claim ‘fresh, good food that’s cooked, not processed’.  There are no preservatives, by-products or fillers, and are for the most part grain free; not containing wheat, soy or corn, (which are common allergens for dogs), instead including wholesome grains such as brown rice, oats and barley.  They offer meat meals in rolls that can be cut into pieces, treats, chews and bones.  They also have ready to bake cookies! Yum!  The fat and calorie content in these are a tad high at 25% crude fat and 82 calories/cookie, however this does not pose a problem with me, as these cookies would be a ‘treat’….not something you feed your dog every day or use as a meal replacement.  Remember, treats are treats when given on special occasion, not on a regular basis. 

It is important to keep your dog’s weight under control, as overweight or obesity can pose several health risks.  I have added a dog food calculator to my ‘Websites and Dog Resources’ on my blog so you can check how many calories your dog needs.

Freshpet offers as one of their treats a ‘Dog Joy Turkey Bacon’, which I think is great! I like turkey bacon.  The website is very informative and has a ‘Freshpet Near You’ search tool so you can find out where you can purchase their products in your area.  97% of the ingredients for their foods are U.S. and Canadian derived, with local sources used when possible.  None come from China (double thumbs up!) Their foods are not organic, but are natural, meaning no chemical preservatives like BHA or propylene glycol are used.  It is fresh, not raw and undergoes a pasteurization process similar to milk and cold cuts.

Meijer has finally stocked these products, and I took a look at them.  They appear very similar to the home cooked meals I feed my dogs, and I felt they were reasonably priced.  For someone who doesn’t have the time or ability to cook home-made for their dogs, I believe adding this weekly (or daily if you can afford to) to your dry dog food would be of great benefit to your canine companion.  Learning, knowing and applying better choices to your dog’s diet can go a long way in the quality and length of years for your furry friend.

Adding variety to obtain balance is an important part of canine nutrition.  Dogs do not require nor need high carbohydrate diets, as in the wild, nature would provide around 14% carbs.  Quality fats such as organic extra virgin olive oil and even organic butter (occasionally), and those derived as whole fats from organic milk, yogurt and cheese are all ingredients that canines thrive on.  To determine the amount of carbohydrate content in your dog’s dry food, you can utilize the information found on the packaging.  Look for the Minimum % protein, Minimum % fat, Maximum % fiber, and Maximum % moisture.  These percentages tell the number of grams per 100 grams of food.  So you start with 100(%), subtract the protein, subtract the fat, and subtract the moisture and this gives you your percentage of carbohydrate.  You do not subtract the fiber as this is part of the carbohydrate.  Example: if the food contains 30% protein, 15% fat, 5% fiber and 10% moisture, you would take 100 minus 30 minus 15 minus 10 and your total carbs would be 45%.  You will most likely find as I did that most dry dog foods are high in carbs, even in the quality brand kibbles.  This is why I feed about 25% dry food in my dog’s diet and utilize real meat protein for the main part of their diet.

Adding Freshpet to your dog’s diet would assist in keeping carbohydrate content under control.  Please let me know if you have used or are using this product and what your thoughts are on it.  To your dog’s continued good health!

 

20 comments:

  1. Healthy and balanced, all natural pet food and snacks made of clean foods and clean vegetables. Anyway, great to read this an useful content.

    California Labradoodle Puppies for Sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!.. can i feed my dog bacon

      Delete
  2. I have been feeding this food to my 13 year old poodle for about 2 years now and she loves it. She has tons of energy, plays like a puppy and her weight is under control. She is happy and healthy and loves breakfast and dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it and buy it as a treat from time to time for mine....they LOVE it!

      Delete
  3. My 11 year old toy poodle loves this food! But I am thinking it is high in calories. She is diabetic and if I feed her this she drinks too much water and has to go out hourly. I make her dog food "Georgies" meatloaf and she has good control. problem is sometimes I don't have time to make her food and feed her something else. She will not touch some of the commercial foods that are out there. We have tried Wellness brand, Blue brand and other self proclaimed quality foods. She actually loves the fresh pet. so sometimes I mix a small amount of her meatloaf with the crumble chicken food she eats that first. When are they going to put calorie content on dog food along with carbs? I am glad to hear that you also like this I cannot find anything bad on this brand yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. This is one of the most important factor. i really like the content of this blog, it is awesomely Pet Food

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 5yr labradoodle has been having major issues with UTIs ...would you recommend freshpet as a good choice for her .she has been on a food with high protein ,I've heard that could be the issue .

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Bonny....I have blogged a couple of times regarding bladder stones...you might want to look those up and reference those. As far as Freshpet for your dog...if you are currently feeding a dry kibble and your dog is not getting enough water, this can contribute to bladder issues. The Freshpet has more moisture in it. I am an advocate of raw...I have a great supplier here in Indy....My Pet Carnivore (MPC)...if you are in one of the surrounding states to Indiana, you could have it delivered. Dogs (wild dogs/wolves) do well on a quality protein diet, such as raw provides and quality fats...add organic extra virgin olive oil and/or organic coconut oil to your dogs diet...very easy to do. Always make sure your dog has plenty of CLEAN water to drink, this is important in reducing bladder issues. Thanks for reading...I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dogs love freshpet. Only problem is, I can't seem to find freshpet puppy anymore. My dog is only 4 months old. Either they are out of it when I go to the store or it's getting harder to find. I wish they would also make other flavors of the puppy food for when I can finally find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can contact them to find out more information: To reach us by phone, call us at 866-789-3737
      Monday – Friday: 9am – 5:00pm EST

      Or write to us at:
      Attn: Freshpet Care Team
      P. O. Box 2157
      Secaucus, NJ 07096 – 2157

      https://www.facebook.com/Freshpet/?fref=ts

      Delete
  8. I am an advocate for fresh or homemade dog food. I have a 5yr old 8lb shorkie that I got last year. I have been making his food consisting of steak and chicken mixed and added sweet potato, carrots, green beans (veggies are smashed and mixed into meat blend. Two rounded tablespoons twice daily. His weight went from 7.4lb to 9.4lb. took him to vet who did bloodwork and she said to put him on Hills prescrition canned as his protein tested high. He wont eat Hills canned unless I mix in meat. Since then his weight has dropped down to current weight of 8.6lb.
    Cost of food is not an issue and neither is making the food but my concerns are getting his dietary needs met while keeping his weight under control. Which do you recommend, Freshpet or homemade. If homemade (not raw), where do I find recipes, information on content, daily serving calories? Vet put dog on 200 calories per day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw from the right source is my #1 recommendation. The raw meat supplier I used when I lived in Indianapolis delivers to areas of Michigan...https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?lang=en
      Did your vet determine the reason for the elevated protein?
      Lean meats and veggies like green beans, broccoli are good choices. Stay away from kibble (dry dog food), as it has a high carb content (even the high end brands)
      You didn't say how often or how much you feed your dog, or what kind/how much exercise your dogs gets...all important factors in weight control.
      Hope this helps. Let me know how he does. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I did want to add...200 calories is good for a dog that size...also, I do have recipes on this blog. You can also search the internet for healthy dog meals. (I'm not sure those would contain the calorie count...mine do not) I do like Freshpet, but have not used that as the only food. I am homecooking again until I can find a raw meat supplier in Arizona.

      Delete
  9. This is the first time i read your blog and admire that you have posted on this...I appreciate your effort.Keep updated.
    labradoodle puppies for sale

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 7 month old, male Dorkie, LOVES FreshPet. I cut the ball shaped chunks into smaller pieces bc he was not chewing them, swallowing whole. I let him eat until he's full...animals are smart, they know when they are full. I may be going nuts, but I swear, Jack is so calm since he's been on this food. He looks so forward to eating! Mommy and doggie are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - i just started feeding my yorkie/chihuahua the Frespet Select. She likes it. I am wondering if this food is appropriate for her since she is prone to gaining weight. her weight is good, but i am concerned about the amt of fat in this food. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you should be ok if you are following the packaging directions. Their website also has feeding instructions if I remember correctly. You did not say if you are supplementing with other foods or how often you are feeding, some people feed once a day, others twice a day, and some even three times a day. Check their website at: https://freshpet.com/ Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  12. Really appreciate your blog on FreshPet. Just changed to that from another food product and my very picky dog seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Weenie dog is 10 months old and very thin. I have been giving her a very expensive dry food mixed with a little moist food and she just doesn't eat much at all. I decided to try the food in the roll for puppies and she loved it. I give her a thick slice twice a day cut up in little chunks. I feed her one chunk at a time to make sure she chews it and not just suck it up in 30 seconds. To keep it fresh I use my FoodSaver after every time I cut a slice off and store it back and take the air out to keep it fresh. So far so good.
    =================
    www.petanimalsezone.com/nutritionally-complete-homemade-dog-food-recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic and useful we blog thanks for publishing this.it's useful and informative.keep up the great.
    Dog Treats

    ReplyDelete