Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Attention Issue

There would be some who would feel I am over-protective or even on the verge of paranoid when it comes to my dogs.  Perhaps some of that stems from my sheltered childhood, living most of my life by myself or the fact that I have very small dogs (Chihuahua's and Maltese) and I know how vulnerable they are to everything around them....they are so tiny, and everything else is so big!

Making the decision to working toward devoting my life energies to the well-being of these precious creatures has been a rather easy, if not natural choice.  I have loved animals as far back as I can remember, even though at times my mom's personal viewpoints caused me to fear them.  Anyway, I have overcome that, but.I won't be sharing space with a lion or bear, out of respect for their wild nature...but as far as domesticated animals, I tend toward the furry ones, especially dogs, as you might have noticed!

I have commented to friends and family over the past many years, that the Chaplin household is 'dog friendly'.  I have had numerous fosters come and go, so I have adapted the surroundings to meet their needs and make my life easier....especially when it comes to clean up!  I cater to the necessities of my dogs and those that are temporary guests, as to me it is important to their overall health.

That being said, one aspect of their life in our home that is not overlooked is that of physical attention.  Now you might think that's not a big deal.  However, when you have a multi-dog household, even small ones, this can get time consuming.  Personal time and space are at a minimum, and most times a luxury.  Granted, I could push them away, but I wouldn't want someone I love and care about doing me that way.  It's consideration of their feelings, at all times, even if it cuts into 'my time'.

I know people who have large dogs who claim they have 90 pound lap dogs, and how inconvenient that can be! Well, I cannot relate to that, but I can relate to the fact that if I sit down or lay down, there is going to be at least one dog, if not 4 or 5 who want to be right there with me! It's a given.  I have one dog in particular, Little Scrap, (a.k.a. Doodles) my long-haired Chi, who is my shadow.  I'm not out of his sight much, in fact, he's on my lap as I write this.  I lavish love on my dogs because...well...I love dogs.  I've made that quite clear in my blogs, I hope!

I guess it comes down to a personal preference, you can agree with me or not, and what you do with your dogs is up to you.  Dogs are very demanding of attention, it doesn't take long to realize that. Some days they can seem very 'needy', and at times that aren't the most convenient. Considering 99% of my dogs are rescue dogs and the majority I know nothing of their background because they were strays.  With this in mind, it seems so appropriate of them to seek out attention...and it seems to me the least I can do is to accomidate them.  They may have had a neglected life before they rescued me, and the reason I take them in is so they can have a better life than they did before, even if I don't know what that life was.

Most times I'm not giving them direct attention when they're on my lap or beside me, they just lay there and fall asleep, and I continue with what I am doing.  In a way, it is very flattering to have these little ones worshiping the ground I walk on.  (Oh, how I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am!) I look at those adorable little faces and I smile and get a warm feeling inside knowing how much I love them and how important they are to me, how they have changed my life and even my priorities.

I recall following my mom and dad around when I was a kid, helping to 'oversee' their daily tasks.  Never once did they push me away or act as if they didn't want me around.  I mostly watched and sometimes even assisted in what they were doing.  I knew I was loved by how they treated me when I was around...not as a pest, but as their child whom they loved.  These little furbabies are my children now...why shouldn't I treat them like my parents did me?

So anyway, that's my opinion for what it's worth.  I believe all animals should be treated with respect and kindness.  I'm almost constantly excusing myself and apologizing when I accidently step on a paw that's underfoot, or bonk a little head or body when I'm doing something.  Yup, at times they get in the way...but hey, this is their home too....even if they're a foster and it's just a temporary layover for them, it should be a place of love, kindness and peace. My hope is that every dog could have a wonderful life free of abuse and neglect, and know that all humans aren't mean. It's very much a compliment when someone says to me, 'If I'd ever be reincarnated, I'd want to come back as one of your dogs!'  

No comments:

Post a Comment