Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Healthy Environment For The Winter

I don't know how the weather is where you live, but here in Indiana we are certainly not getting a repeat of last year's mild winter.  In fact, I think we're making up for it! I'm not fond of the cold and snow, and neither are my dogs! I have small dogs, they're mostly older, and the snow is just not something they care to explore and play in.  Being indoors more during the season and having the house all closed up is unfortunately a part of the reality of this time of year for the majority of us who live in these types of climates.  Because of this, it makes it ever so much more important that especially the indoor climate is safe for our furry companions.

I have blogged before about using all natural cleaning products.  Now it's really important, because all those smells you use have nowhere to go....they're stuck inside, and not only are people breathing it in, but our doggies too! Those harsh chemicals are simply not good for your lungs, and definitely a hazard to your health.  They over-power the senses, and to my olfactory nerves they're very offensive!  I just finished up mopping the floors a bit ago, and it smells wonderful in here! I love to use essential oils in my mop water, along with the Watkins organic multi-purpose cleaner. (Check out their website at www.jrwatkins.com) Keeping it rather seasonal, I used Peppermint Oil this time...yum....very uplifting!

Because of snow piling up, it makes it a challenge if not an impossibility to go for walks...so the exercise suffers as well.  Be sure to play with your dogs daily....sit down on the floor...on your bed or a piece of furniture so you're more at their level, especially those small doggies.  This at least helps to give them a little extra movement instead of just sitting and laying around all day.

Of course, I can hardly publish a blog without saying something about nutrition! You can make soups and stews for your dogs, and even meatloaf! It's always nice this time of year to have warm food in the belly! One thing you can do that is particularly yummy is get a carton of organic, low-sodium chicken or beef broth....warm it up in a pan on the stove (I'm not an advocate of the microwave), and pour over your dog's meat or kibble....they'll love it, I guarantee!   Also, dogs can have caffeine-free hot tea,  herbals such as chamomile and peppermint...try it and see if your dog likes it.

I'm counting down the days until Spring (83 by my count)....so hopefully the whole winter won't be harsh...as Indiana typically isn't that way.  I know some of you however, are in regions that really get walloped, and your winters seem to last forever! On the bright side....the daylight hours are starting to get longer, even though in this area, the next two months are typically very gray.  Find plenty of productive things to focus on and enjoy spending time indoors (and outdoors if you and your fur family enjoy that), keeping warm and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment