Saturday, February 11, 2017

Canine Vestibular Disease

 
 
 
The word 'disease' can be a scary word...although some diseases are worse than others.  Canine vestibular disease goes by several names: Idiopathic vestibular disease, geriatric vestibular syndrome, and old dog syndrome.  Disease simply said is 'ill health'.  However, this one is considered 'non-progressive', which to me signifies there will be improvement.  And so it is with this one.  It usually gets better on its own with little to no treatment.  That's a good thing.  I wish I'd known that when it happened to my dog Tidbit in June of 2014.  To say the display of symptoms is dramatic and disturbing is very accurate, as the indicators seemingly appear out of nowhere.
 
It can be congenital and when it is, it is usually apparent before three months of age (I also understand it can be 'outgrown').  Young dogs can get it due mostly from infections in the middle ear.  It is quite common in older dogs...and it typically resolves in 7-14 days, although a head tilt may remain.  There are several breeds more pre-deposed...Akita, Beagle, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, English Cocker Spaniel, Smooth Fox Terrier and the Tibetan Terrier, however any breed can experience it.
 
The signs and symptoms include, abnormal posture, head tilt, staggering (a 'drunken gait'), circling, involuntary, rhythmic jerking eye flicks (nystagmus), vomiting, and motion sickness.  This disease can arise from numerous causes including chronic and recurrent infections of the inner and middle ear, head trauma, stroke, tumors, and some prescription drugs. It appears that most time the cause is considered idiopathic, which means the cause is just not identified, and that can be frustrating to a pet parent.  It is a sudden, non-progressive disturbance of balance, which is more common in older dogs.
 
The vestibular system is composed of portions of the brain (central) and ear (peripheral).  The central form of this disease is less common and a more serious form of the condition, as it originates inside the central nervous system (CNS).  The peripheral form arises outside the CNS and involves disorders affecting the inner ear and irritation to the nerves connecting the inner ear with the brain.  The vestibular system regulates the body's ability to orient itself in space, maintain balance, preserve posture and coordinate movement. When something goes awry, it feels like the world is spinning.  
 
In my research for this blog I read there is 'no cure' for CVD, but I don't buy that.  I also came across conflicting information, such as one go around lends an above average risk of having another episode, to another article stating it is rare for a dog to have a second occurrence, but it can happen. And of course, there is a battery of tests that can be done to 'try' to determine a cause.  Granted it would be great to know the underlying cause, so it can be treated appropriately, but most people lack the financial resources to find this out.  The dollars can add up quickly.  Therapy likely in the form of intra-venous fluids and supplemental nutrition, physical exam, neurological assessment to determine whether it's central or peripheral form, sometimes x-rays, blood tests, culture and sensitivity, cytology, a biopsy if polyps or tumors are involved, MRI, CT scan, etc.
 
Obviously if your dog is experiencing nausea, anti-nausea meds can be given, and that would be a reasonable charge.  If there is an inner/middle ear infection, antibiotics would be affordable.  I have used warm garlic oil with success in healing ear infections in dogs. Here is a link to help with that if your dog gets one:
 
 
There was a good article I read written by a vet who had a dog that had an episode with CVD, and he gave a list of natural supplementation to help with healing.  Here is the link:
 
My hope in writing this blog on CVD is that it will help other pet parents who read this to know what to look for and understand that the prognosis of recovery is very good.  (This was not the information I got when I took Tidbit to an emergency vet, and I had him put down...it was extremely upsetting to me.  At the time, I had not heard of this, did not know what I know now.)  I just recently had another dog go thru this (she is fully recovered)...and it caused me to research, thinking at first she had a seizure...and finding out that wasn't the case...to something else the next day that she did that triggered what Tidbit had displayed...and it led me to this.  Hind sight is always 20/20, but I don't like learning lessons by losing a dog.  I'm angry that vet didn't seem to know enough about it to conclude that his chance of pulling out of it was well above 90%.  It was difficult for me to find this information out as I was researching for this blog.  There is so much that can happen to our furry friends...I know a lot, but I don't know it all...I keep learning.  As I learn, I like to pass along that information to help reach out to others.  Our pets are family, it's our responsibility to care for them, they are with us for such a short time.  Do all you are able to help them, they are counting on you!
 
 

Written in memory of Tidbit C. Chaplin
10/28/99 - 6/21/14
RIP little man...I love you and miss you so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment