Sunday, July 15, 2012

Multi-Dog Households

It seems like it's been a loooonnnggg time ago that I only had one dog.  Really it's only been about four years ago.  I remember when I first started fostering for rescue...just adding another dog was doubling what I already had!  Hmmmm....somewhere along the line that has really multiplied!
For many people, one dog is enough, and it's best to always know your limitations, physically and financially.  You want to do the best for your dog(s), and if you over extend yourself, it's not fair to anybody involved.
However, perhaps you're considering going to a two-dog or multi-dog household.  What considerations should you look into? There are several things.
I just recently found from fostering a dog barely out of pup-hood and was two to three times the size of my other dogs, wasn't a good fit.  Fortunately, we only had this dog for a couple weeks.  But in that time, she managed to stress out my other dogs to the point of several of them getting diarrhea.  Ok, so my lesson from that....probably shouldn't foster pups or larger dogs...it wasn't her fault about her age and size.  I really liked her, and of course, as always, any dog coming into our home, is treated as my other doggies are.
So, obviously size is an issue.  How much room do you have? Do you have a fenced yard to properly and safely contain the size the dog will grow to? Do you not have a fence? If not, then you'll need to harness/leash the dog when outside...for obvious safety reasons.
How active is the breed you are considering adding to your family? All of mine are at least 5 years or older...my oldest being almost 17.  Our current foster is around 3.  As I mentioned above, my dogs were not too fond of the energy level of the foster we had for a couple of weeks.  Some of them would run and chase her when they went outside, but it didn't take long for them to wear out.
Food.  Are you able to afford a good quality kibble? Will you be cooking for the new arrival? Our puppy foster, due to age, size and energy level required about twice the amount of food I feed my other dogs.
Compatibility.  Will your dogs be able to get along with the new buddy? Some dogs bond better with others....I have had more problems with males not wanting other males in the home, especially if you have an alpha male.  Females always seem to do well together...and with other male dogs as well.  If getting along is an issue, the new dog may need to be crated while you are away for the safety of the other dogs.
Time.  Do you have the additional time that another dog will require? Dogs are very demanding of attention.  They are very social creatures.  Sometimes I almost feel like I ignore my dogs because I have a large responsibility with so many things in my life right now.  I try not to be partial, and give each one some one-on-one attention each day...sometimes it doesn't happen.
Also, other issues are baths, nail trims, all those necessary hygiene issues.  I do those myself.  I only have one dog I have to pay to get his nails trimmed.  Well pet vet visits for necessary shots and annual exams.
All these are certainly considerations when thinking about expanding your furry family.
I love my dogs very, very much.  I look forward to time I can spend with them, coming home from work and being greeted by them.  To properly care for multiple animals, it takes time, commitment, dedication and continual keeping on top of issues and getting to really know your pet.  They are most likely going to be a lifetime responsibility...so just consider, what are you willing to give? Just remember, you have many other things in your life...your job, family, recreation....all they have is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment