Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Plight of the Abused, Neglected, Unwanted and Discriminated Dog


The other day I had a posting on my Facebook page about a dog that had to be euthanized because he/she had maggots.  This shocked me.  I thought to myself, ‘how does a dog get maggots…really’?  What kind of conditions and prolonged neglect take place for this to get to a point where the only option is to euthanize the dog? I didn’t read the article, as I knew it’d only serve a purpose of making me angry.  I did leave a comment though. I’m thinking in this case it was an intentional act. After this, I did read an article about how dogs get maggots, but for the situation to get to an advanced stage without somebody noticing there is some kind of problem is beyond me.  That to me is outright neglect.
There is so much of this going on, and I know turning a blind eye to it does not make it go away.  That wasn’t what I was doing when I didn’t read about this particular dog.  I read and see a lot and it sickens me and most times upsets my stomach when I read articles or watch videos about abuse and neglect.  Social networks have brought much of this into the light, and it needs to be.  By doing so issues and problems get resolved.  Unfortunately, it does not make it cease completely.  Persons who do these unimaginable deeds to these sweet and innocent creatures, in my opinion do not deserve to be considered part of the ‘human’ race. 
When I see pictures and read stories about abused and neglected animals I get an overwhelming feeling that I want and need to do more.  It cuts me to my heart to know this exists.  I have shed so many tears and prayed so many prayers for their protection.  Since they are unable to ‘speak’ for themselves, we have to be their voice, otherwise they suffer in silence, and this is absolutely unnecessary.  I have stated many times before in my blog how much I love dogs…not just my own, but all dogs.  I started this blog because I wanted to reach as many dog owners as possible so I could educate them regarding health, proper nutrition and pet responsibility for their canine companions.  I am thrilled to pass along the knowledge that I have learned over the past many years, it’s not information I want to keep to myself…that would not serve a greater purpose.
There are so many resources available to people who have pets and can no longer care for them.  This is the 21st Century…with the availability of networking, media outlets and extensive friend and family connections available, there is simply no excuse for a dog (or any other pet) to be dumped somewhere to ‘make it on their own’.  There are programs available to assist low income individuals.  Low-cost spay/neuter programs and pet food pantries are springing up all across the U.S.  There are financial programs that allow for payments should your pet require treatment that you cannot pay for all at one time.
Should your pet become lost, there are on-line resources available such as Pet Finder, Craig’s List, Find Fido and many more.  I cannot imagine in this day and age of such advanced technology, that a person wouldn’t  know somebody or have some way of accessing these Internet tools.  Microchipping, and the ready availability of tags for your pets also helps to identify lost pets quickly.  Proper containment such as chain link and privacy fences, harnesses and leashes are a must.  Simply put, this is pet responsibility.  I’m not an advocate for the ‘electric fence’, as they may keep your dog confined to your yard, but it doesn’t keep other dogs out….which could prove unsafe for your pet. 
Then there is this whole issue of BSL, known as breed specific legislation that bans or restricts certain types of dogs based on their appearance because they are perceived to be ‘dangerous’ types or breeds of dogs.  I’ll refrain from saying what I think the ‘B.S.’ means to me…you probably know.  This trend is ridiculous and unnecessary.  What I’d like to see is dogs who take bad owners to the pound.  It’s not the dog….it’s the person who causes a dog to be aggressive.  I can guarantee you if I had a pit bull, he/she would be the absolute most spoiled, cared for baby on the planet!  The only attack would be one of a slobbering tongue all over your face.  I treat my dogs with respect.  I do nothing to intentionally physically hurt them or to put them in harm’s way.  I feel bad and apologize if I accidentally step on a paw.
Another thing that I just don’t understand is people who leave their pets (mostly dogs) in a hot car while they shop or do whatever.  Thinking a cracked window on a 90 degree day is enough to ensure the dog’s comfort.  In just ten minutes that becomes 109 degrees, twenty minutes 119 degrees, 30 minutes 124 degrees…you get the idea.  Would you be comfortable in a car that hot?  How about if your normal body temperature were 100 to 102 degrees and you had a fur coat on?  Under the Animal Welfare Act, you have a legal duty to care for your animal and if you put your animal at risk, you could face prosecution.  It is a misdemeanor to leave your dog unattended in a hot car, and it can become a felony if the dog dies.  You can be arrested, charged with animal cruelty and face fines and jail time. Get a clue people…leave your dog at home in true comfort of air conditioning with fresh water available.
As is evident, I’m on my soapbox.  But I’m not going to keep quiet about these things.  And I hope those who are regular readers of my blog don’t keep quiet either.  It is unfortunate that this is so prevalent in a ‘civilized’ society.  These loving creatures give all they have, because we are all they have….why are so many treated so cruelly and with such disrespect and disregard?  We who are true animal advocates need to be watchful and aware when we are out and about….in our own back yards, keeping a cautious eye even on our neighbors.  If you see an act of cruelty, do not walk away….act on it, and quickly if necessary.  Like that old saying ‘shoot first, ask questions later’. I would do what is necessary to rescue an animal in need….because I am every dog’s advocate. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment