Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tracking Multiple Dog Medical Records

Computers are great (at least when they work!)  I especially love utilizing the spreadsheet capabilities they contain....there's a spreadsheet for everything, or maybe there should be for just about everything! It is truly a great way to track and keep records.

Keeping written records is very important when you have a multi-dog (pet) household.  Don't expect to be able to keep all this accurately in your head! Clear up those brain cells for other important information, sit down at your computer, get your dog's medical records together, and put them in an organized format on a spreadsheet that you can easily reference.

I just completed this task.  It takes a little bit to set everything up, but once you have it in place, it is just a matter of keeping it updated...and it is so handy. 

I titled my spreadsheet 'Doggie Records'.  I have a column of course, for their name, then their birthdate.  Some I know for certain, others I do not, but we have a specific date set aside that we celebrate each year.  I even included what age they will be for 2013, added an 'Anniversary' column and another column for 2013 as to what number of anniversary we will be celebrating next year.

I have a column for when their rabies expires, as I have been getting the 3-year rabies for my furkids.  I have a column for heartworm/exam (one column), and separate columns for dental, bloodwork, bordatella and microchip (track company and microchip number information).  If there is an exam, heartworm, or rabies coming up, I 'bold' the date in black.  If it is due (time to get it done), I 'bold' the date in red.  What is so nice about this is, you can customize it to your needs, and use special markings that you will understand.  What I do works for me, but may not for you, but at least this blog gives you an idea how to set it up and what to include.

I am currently tracking eight of my own dogs.  I will be adding a tab for 'fosters', (as I currently have one) and have added a tab for when I start taking dogs in Small Paws Senior Canine Sanctuary.  By doing this, it frees up my mind to focus on other things, and I have this nice spreadsheet that I can quickly reference to make sure everything is up-to-date.

I believe you will find it to be extremely useful.  Having organization in your life is great....having a routine for your dogs is necessary....and a calm environment is a blessing.  The new year is fast approaching....start considering areas where you can improve your environment that you share with these precious creatures....wishing you the best for your furkids in 2013! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment