Saturday, September 1, 2012

Appreciate and Celebrate Your Dog(s)

Recent figures show 37.2% of American households have approximately 73 million dogs (percentage does not include other pets).  We love dogs here in the U.S. for sure! Most people consider their furry companions to  be family...I know I do!  I didn't realize how much I love these sweet creatures until I began volunteering in dog rescue a little over four years ago...by that time I'd already been a pet parent for about 13 years.  I only had one dog up to that point, my Maltese, Clarisse.  Fostering gave me a further appreciation and definitely more experience with dogs.  A lot has transpired over that time, and I could not have imagined the path it would lead me on.

Just as human children have unique personalities, so do canines.  They are much like us, but have obvious and not so obvious differences.  The level of care and concern I have for my own spills over to all dogs.  I have a sincere heart for them and I want to devote my life to doing everything I can for all of them.  So many times I have thought it would not be worth coming home if they were not here....what would I have to come home to? Nothing? Nobody?  Home is truly where your heart is...and my heart longs to help dogs!

I think of the dogs whose paths have crossed with mine and entered into our home...some for a very short while (had a couple of 'over-nighters' once)....some for a longer period....and then those that I have given 'fur'-ever homes to....six of them.  We've even encountered and assisted a couple of strays.  Many years of study and interest in human nutrition has led me to study canine nutrition...this being borne out of necessity somewhat, as the third foster I had (my little Mya), was difficult to feed.  I had never encountered that before.  Previously she had been a breeder dog.  Mya was the stepping stone of a new awareness and direction.

We've had close to a couple dozen dogs since then....each from different backgrounds and situations...mostly from being a stray...a few owner surrenders...vulnerable little critters with no where to go.  I have always been more than happy and willing to open my home to them.  They have taught me so much...really mainly more patience.  I soon came to realize having two dogs is quite different that just one.  Each personality leaving a unique paw print on my heart.

I hope you, my readers have come to appreciate what your dog(s) bring into your life.  They are truly amazing.  I love to watch mine play and romp with each other from time to time.  I get a warm feeling in my heart when I observe them lounging outside in the sunshine in a safe privacy fenced back yard....thankful that I can offer them that.  The kisses and attention they give are priceless.  I love to take them places from time to time...quick errands, visiting, walks at special locations, day trips...I enjoy spending time with them...after all, they are family!

Every day I celebrate these beautiful creatures I share my home with.  They have changed my life and given me new purpose.  I enjoy sharing my bed with them, cuddling and look forward to beginning each new morning because they need me...but even more, I need them!  There are many things in my life that divide my attention, but I am all they have.  I pray I never lose that perspective.  In my desire to help even more, I am seriously considering studying animal law.  I want all dogs to be healthy, happy and safe.  I hope I can play a part in that becoming a reality...I pray you will stand with me so together we can make this happen! Let this journey begin....




2 comments:

  1. Really, I am impressed from this post. The person who create this post is truly great. Thanks for sharing this with us. I found this informative and interesting blog so I think its very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I love to share what I have learned and what I continue to learn with other doggie parents, because I believe it is information that can benefit them, thus benefiting their furry companions. Please feel free to share this blog with all your friends and family who have dogs too! Thanks for reading....come back soon, as I update and add when I am able.

      Delete