Saturday, September 8, 2012

Turning Around Maebelle's Allergies Naturally

You may not realize it, but your dog's diet...what you feed him/her is more than just a meal.  It can be the cause of allergies, disease, behavior problems and other issues that you may not have considered had a connection.

In December of last year, I was asked to foster a little 4 pound Chihuahua coming in as an owner surrender.  The dog had nipped the owner's 22-month old son above the eye, and she was hysterical thinking the dog would have to be euthanized.  Since the gal had contacted her vet (which I take my dogs to), who is a friend of the gal I foster for in rescue who then contacted me, is where I entered the picture.  I agreed to take her. 

I knew before I took her in that she had severe allergies.  The evening that I picked her up, I went through her paperwork...vet bills....lots of them....visits to emergency animal hospitals and vet offices due to allergic reactions.  She was on Prednisone, a steroid, and Zyrtec, an antihistamine used for allergy relief.  She was on a low-fat prescription dry dog food.  She had lost her fur on top of her head, and she just didn't look very healthy.  She was also very timid.

I remember thinking to myself, 'this little girl isn't even 8 years old, and she has been through so much...she deserves to have improved health so she can enjoy life and not be going to emergency rooms on a regular basis.  I knew I had my work cut out for me, and I was certainly up for the challenge.

My first step was to contact her vet...I left a message and he called me back.  I asked him if he knew the source of Maebelle's allergies, and he said he did not, that they had not run any tests on her.  My comment was, 'then it's most certainly nutritional'.  So that's where I started.  If you've read very many of my blogs, you know I am not an advocate of low-fat diets or prescription dog food. (their use in my opinion should be few and far between)

I started weaning her off the dog food, slowly but steadily adding the quality kibble I feed my own, and adding in meats, vegetables, fruits...home-cooked....just like I feed mine.  Maebelle came to us in December, so it was perfect timing from an environmental allergy standpoint to cut back on the Zyrtec.  (I never did give her any of the Prednisone that was packed with the many belongings that came with her).  Going into winter, external allergens are lower.

I started using a great supplement by Vet's Best.  It's a seasonal allergy support.  I kept a close eye out for adverse reactions from reducing the prescription med (Zyrtec) to make sure we weren't going to have problems.  We did not.  Time passed and I continued with the herbal supplement and home-cooked meals.  I was told by her previous owner, she was a 'picky eater'.  She was not too fond of bananas the first time I offered them....but she loves them now!  In fact, there is not much 'picky' about how she eats these days.  The only meat I've found she will not eat is chicken liver...do not know why, as she does like beef liver!

It's been a little over nine months now, and the process of her fur growing back on her head is slow, but it's progressing! She has not had any allergy issues....and you know how bad spring can be, and even summer! Actually, she is weaning herself off the herbal supplement, as she does not take it when offered to her very often.  I had hoped it would not be a life-long need.  Now that her immune system is up to par, and her environment is better suited to her personality, she is thriving! Considering the investment of time, consistency and progress, I ended up adopting her, realizing she was where she needed to be physically to get what she needed nutritionally and emotionally.

As a pet parent, you need to consider many things in regard to your dog's well-being.  Stress is a big factor in health.  This little girl was in an environment with small children (not the best for Chihuahua's), and the gal had a daycare in her home....so LOTS of small kids....most likely poking and being too rough for such a tiny girl. (little kids tend to do that at times) Her nutritional needs were not being met, so her actions and reactions from the nipping incident to the emergency allergy issues came together as the 'perfect storm' so to speak.

Internal and external environment also plays a major role in canine health.   I do not have my lawn chemically treated, and I use natural/herbal cleaning products.  None of my dogs are exposed to cigarette smoke.  I buy organic at every opportunity....milk, cheese, vegetables, grains (oats), meats.  Pesticide and fertilizer residue are just as harmful to animals as they are to people.  All these factors can cause allergies, trigger the onset of many diseases including cancer.  Protect your dog from these at all times or you put your furry companion at risk.

Had Maebelle continued where she was, I really do not know what might have transpired, but I feel it would not have been good.  Thankfully for her, she was taken out of it.  I know she was very much loved by her previous owners, I am not faulting or placing blame on them.  I keep in contact with them by email, sending pictures and updates.  Maebelle is doing well here....she isn't as timid....she interacts with the other dogs (she was an only dog in her other home), and she has really come out of her shell.  She has improved in so many ways, it is truly amazing.  When you give a dog what they truly need nutritionally and in a proper environment, you will have a much happier pet!

2 comments:

  1. I'm asking this question too because my dog is having rashes which too, I think it is her immune system which weakens. Is it alright if I let my dog take this zinc supplement which I am using or do I need to take her to her doctor first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without knowing anything about your dog, i.e. breed, age, health status, etc., it would be hard to pinpoint your dog's problem. I would need to know specifics about the dog's diet...what are you feeding him/her? What kind of cleaning products do you use in your house? Do you have your lawn sprayed with chemicals? There are many factors that enter in. I would strongly suggest, as long as your dog does not have a fish allergy (they usually don't), using a quality fish oil supplement. Springtime (www.springtime.com) carries a product called Omega 3-6-9...that's a good place to start. Zinc is a good supplement, and one that most dogs need, however make sure it is one formulated for dogs. I would also suggest looking into getting a Fur Analysis done to see what you're dealing with. You can go to www.animalpainvet.com to learn more about this. Organic coconut oil, and products like witch hazel and aloe vera are good soothers for external itching. I have posted a blog on the aloe vera/witch hazel, I believe last month. Check these things out....and let me know if it helps. Remember, when using natural/herbal products it takes awhile to see results, so don't stop using it because you think maybe it's not working. Thanks for your question, and I hope some of my suggestions will help your dog. :-)

    ReplyDelete