Sunday, September 30, 2012

Canine Heart Disease - Part 1


The most recent lesson in my Canine Nutrition course was on heart disease in dogs. I learned a lot from it, and I realize how much more there is beyond that to learn. I want to share with my readers, however, what I know thus far. I read a very informative and detailed article which I found at www.anaturalhealingcenter.com.
It is titled: Nutritional Therapy in the Treatment of Heart Disease In Dogs, by Robert S. Dove, DVM, CVA. This was actually the results from research and studies which were published in Alternative Medicine, Volume 6, Rev. 2001. (Note: This article is definitely from a medical standpoint, and might be confusing to you if you do not have some form of medical background...like medical terminology, and an intermediate understanding of heart terminology).
One point that I do find interesting is that this research and its findings are from over a decade ago! The reason I marvel at that is, this is information that was concluded quite awhile back...makes me wonder why it hasn't 'caught on' in the veterinary world. That is truly unfortunate, because this is information that every dog owner who has a dog suffering from heart disease needs to know!
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) reports that 1 in 10 dogs has heart disease as a result of multiple dietary factors, including nutritional deficiencies. That is truly sad, and so unnecessary. I believe that the majority of the issue stems from that junk dog food that so many dogs eat for a lifetime. The mainstream dog food manufacturers which so many of us have come to 'trust' over the past many decades are bringing on, if not directly causing these diseases in our canine companions! (I've said it before in blogs, if 'they' don't like me saying that, then change your ways! It is what it is!) This is part of my family, I love my dogs very much, part of my responsibility as a pet parent is to protect them...and that includes the foods they consume!
So anyway, back to the studies conducted. I found it interesting that Dr. Dove considered (prescription) drugs used for heart disease in dogs to have many disadvantages. The use of natural supplementation such as Co-enzyme Q 10 (or CoQ10), Vitamin E, specifically alpha-tocopherol, L-carnitine, taurine, fish oil (aka, Omega-3 fatty acids), magnesium and the herb Hawthorne are much more promising in treatment.  I am all for correcting disease issues in this manner.
The article names a few breeds that are more at risk for developing heart disease, such as the American Cocker Spaniel, the Portuguese water dog and the Doberman Pincher.  If you have one of these dogs, be extra 'protective' over their diet! 
The article suggest the use of the amino acids L-carnitine and taurine to be used together in treatment.  Taurine, by the way is found in high concentrations in the heart tissue.  There is much more anticipated in further research regarding the use of the B vitamins, folate, B6 and B12.
These nutrients can increase life span, improve life quality, reduce symptoms and physical evidence of the disease and decrease mortality rates.  My suggestion would be to discuss these options with your veterinarian if your dog is suffering from heart disease.  If your vet is not familiar with natural supplementation in treatment, then find one who is...it is that important to the longevity and quality of life for your dog.  All treatment needs to be individual and would vary with the breed, age, disease type and severity...every dog is unique when it comes to medical issues. 
Now, this leads me directly to an advantage of the homemade diet.  I know, it's real easy to pour a bowl of kibble and forget it.  However, if you have read many of my blogs, you know this is not sufficient for your dog!  Taurine is found in red meat, fish and poultry, in dairy, especially in milk and eggs.  Vegetables do not contain significant amounts of taurine.  To those out there who feel dogs can be healthy on a vegetarian diet...take heed...they cannot.  Dogs are carnivores...they can only truly be in top health if they are fed a diet of meat and quality fats, just as they would if they lived in the wild.  Bringing them into our environment does not change their dietary needs.

Magnesium also plays an important role.  Brown rice (organic, of course) is a good choice, but not one I add often into my dog's diet.  Magnesium is found in high concentration in chlorophyll (read my blog from May 23, 2012, 'Can I Give My Dog Chlorophyll'? for further information).  This is the green pigment found in plants.

As you can see from just this short blog, nutrition certainly plays an important role in the prevention and treatment of canine heart disease.  It is paramount that you know what your dog truly needs to be healthy.  There are many factors, and I cannot disclose them all in one blog.  That is why I continue to add articles that put the pieces of the nutritional puzzle together in simple terms to give you an advantage from a natural perspective.

I will continue to research and add more about battling this common disease in canines.  I always have your dog's health foremost in my heart and mind.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment