Sunday, June 24, 2012

Home Cooked


I’ve been cooking homemade meals for my dogs for almost four years.  Over that time I have developed a system that works pretty well.  My dogs and incoming fosters enjoy a flavorful, healthy meal.  I haven’t found a dog yet that doesn’t like meat.  Okay, so maybe that’s not unusual….that’s just normal.  And what dog doesn’t like cheese or peanut butter? However, many of the other foods I include in their diet maybe seem a little ‘outside the box’. 
Vegetables like broccoli, squash and green beans are some of my dog’s favorites.  I’ve had numerous people comment to me that their dog ‘wouldn’t eat like that!’  When I ask if they’ve tried, the response is always, ‘no’.  Dogs like variety as much as people do.  I wouldn’t want to eat toast every day, two or three times a day.  Even though a dog will eat the same kibble day in and day out…that’s boring! Variety is the spice of life…even for the canine.
It’s not necessary to bombard your dog’s daily diet with a bunch of new foods…that could cause digestion issues.  Try one or two new foods in a meal along with their normal kibble.  If they keep it down and don’t get diarrhea, it’s a pretty safe bet they’re okay with it.  Start off with small amounts and gradually increase.  And also realize, there may be some foods they won’t eat the first time, but offered the second time, they will most likely eat it. 
Yummy breakfast additions include peanut butter, banana and plain yogurt.  Scrambled eggs, apples (I peel and grate the ones I use), pureed pumpkin (especially If they’re experiencing diarrhea)…there are many combinations of foods that are healthy choices…get creative.  Know also what foods not to feed your dog…make it fun…you just may find you like it…and I can guarantee a lot of happy dogs with clean doggie dishes!

1 comment:

  1. It would be good to see a list of "no no" foods for a doggie diet.

    ReplyDelete