Friday, June 8, 2012

Raw Honey Benefits For Your Pooch


I love honey.  We always had it available in our house when I was a kid.  For a period of time my dad was a beekeeper.  I remember him suiting up in his special equipment to go smoke the bees out so he could get that golden comb!  One time, even with all his protection, he was stung on the lip.  My sister and I didn’t think it was too bad…we got to go for icecream, because my dad could only drink liquids for awhile, so he got a malt.  Oh, such fond childhood memories!
My adoration for this tasty nectar overflowed into my adulthood.  I still have honey in my house at all times.  These days, it’s not uncommon to find raw honey on the counter.  It’s not only beneficial for humans, it’s good for your canine companion too! Yup! I feed it to mine.  It’s best to purchase raw honey locally.  You can check your neighborhood health food stores, or go to a farmer’s market in your area.  This yummy stuff has an array of benefits, such as, it’s a great energy source, and even though it contains natural sugars, it does not have the same breakdown influence on the body like simple table sugar.
Depending upon the flower choices the bees in your area make, there are a wide variety of vitamins, especially B’s, such as niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid.  Minerals are abundant as well; calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.  Raw honey also contains enzymes and amino acids…all necessary nutrients to round out a balanced, healthy diet.
Because raw honey is not heated and unfiltered…all those good nutrients remain intact and available for your body to use.  The processing methods used today in most foods we consume, destroy much of the nutritional benefit we should get from our food.
So, how do you give this to your dog? You can drizzle it over just about any kind of fruit that your dog can have, such as bananas…I mash up a ripe, organic banana, use about a tablespoon of honey, and several spoonfuls of plain, organic whole milk yogurt…stir it up and it’s ready to go! Also great mixed in with oatmeal.
See, there are a lot of wonderful foods from nature that our dogs (and us owners) can benefit from!

No comments:

Post a Comment