Friday, May 18, 2012

Being Polite

Some would think me to be odd...but I am 'polite' to my dogs.  They're my kids.  How would you feel if someone who was around you talked in an unpleasant voice all the time?  I apologize, I excuse myself if I step in front of them....and especially if something I do startles them, I say 'I'm sorry'. 

Speaking in a kind tone seems to me, to be the thing to do.  I wouldn't treat other people in a harsh way, so certainly not my dear furry companions who love me unconditionally.  I call them sweetheart, love, little one and any other name that is endearing.

Perhaps you hadn't thought about this before, and maybe it's not something you practice around your pets, but I ask that you consider it.  Speaking in this tone is calming.

There are times when a stern tone is needed, but please, reserve that for only those times, hopefully few and far between.  My little furbabies do have scuffles from time to time, and it is appropriate to change my tone with their behavior, but only when needed, and that's not on a daily basis.

Be kind to your pets, in deed and in tone of voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment