Monday, May 21, 2012

Doggie Nutrition On The Go


I’ve been known to take a day trip with my half dozen babies…and we do very well.  I’m not overly concerned with the eating while we’re away, as I stop off at ‘sit down’ restaurants where there are pretty decent food choices.  I can chose items such as chicken, cottage cheese, roast beef, carrots.  I have mine inside, and get theirs ‘to go’, and divvy it out when I get in the van.
You can also bring healthy snacks with you to give them.  I keep portions light, because we are traveling, and this is a different routine for them, we don’t want to overfeed them and take the chance of them getting sick.  I am blessed that none of my furkids get carsick.  I had a foster several years ago that did, not fun.  If you will not have an area to stop that offers such choices, please don’t go the fast food route for your furry companions.  Prepare ahead before you leave home, pack some dishes with the foods that are good for them and put them in a cooler (packed with ‘stay cold’ packs, of course!)
Always have clean water available for them at rest stops, and allow them to ‘stretch their paws’ and pottie.  Travel in the vehicle when outside temperatures won’t be higher than mid to upper 50’s, this way your vehicle won’t get too warm inside while you’re out of the car…you can still crack windows a bit and park in shade if it’s very sunny.  It’s nice to be able to travel when it’s partly cloudy.  Always keep your dog on a leash (and harness for the little ones), this way you are in control.  The last thing you need to have happen is for your dog to get lose or get hurt while you’re away from home.
With some pre-planning and pack the patience please…you can enjoy a day with your canine buddy and share a pleasant experience…hopefully something you’ll want to repeat again!




No comments:

Post a Comment