Monday, May 7, 2012

Psychological Space and Other Stuff

Did you know your dog can be very guarded about their personal space? I do, because I have one who is very sensitive about it.  Actually, I think he's a little more so than what would be considered 'normal'....I tell him it's all about his 3" of personal space, and lately, that's shrunk in half! Poor little guy! Seriously though, your dog does need psychological space...you don't want him/her to feel crowded in the space they're in.  Sometimes certain dogs like cuddling together, usually those that have grown up as litter mates...but with mine all having come from different homes and situations, they tend not to bond in that way, but when they do share a doggie bed, it's precious!

Each one of my dogs has a particular area they like to sleep in...and I make sure each one has a bed or an area prepped with a blanket where they can lay down.  My dogs are small, and my house is a moderate size, so I don't think they feel overcrowded, as there is plenty of room for just them where they are...makes for a calm mind.  You want to consider that when getting a dog, as to what size they are, how many you have, and how big your space (house) is...so that they don't feel like they're rubbing shoulders.

And speaking of rubbing shoulders...when was the last time you rubbed your doggie's shoulders? Or scratched their back?  My dogs love to get a massage from momma.  They get that far off look in their eyes as if to say, 'I'll give you four hours to stop that, and then I'll reconsider that!'  Always make sure if you are rubbing your dogs head/ear area, that you are supporting underneath their chin with your other hand.  Especially small dogs.  This helps to support their neck bones and muscles so that undue strain is not placed on that area.

Remember to allow your dog enough physical/psychological space and interact with them physically.  All these things help to make for a happy, healthy dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment