Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Doggie Personalities

Fostering has taught me a lot.  I had only one dog when I started volunteering...and she is a very laid back, not to sociable type.  I knew her personality well, but didn't realize, not having any other dogs, I didn't have anything else to compare her to.

Of course, dogs are really just like human kids.  You can't compare them...they are each different.  They have their own unique personality...their likes and dislikes, and their little quirks, which I think make them even the more cuter!  It really wasn't until I started fostering my third dog, Mya that I began to understand some very important things about dogs.  She was just 7 years old and had been a breeder dog up to just 6 months before I got her.  She didn't have a 'normal' puppy life...she spent her time in a crate making babies for profit.  She didn't have any socialization skills.  She turned out to be my 'challenge' dog.  She has come a long way, but it took me a while to realize she needed her space.  So, I learned if Mya wanted to do something, let her, if not...no big deal.  She has come a long way.  I ended up adopting her, and she's been with us for almost four years.  She has turned out to be one of the easiest to get along with, sweetest little girls. 

Each dog that comes into my home is different.  All the ones I've adopted, all the ones I foster I have come to realize to love them for what individuality each one of them brings to me, and to celebrate that.  Just like our children, even though we may want them to be like us, they are an individual, and will pick their own style.  I've found by acknowledging this with dogs, it has made it easier for me to be around so many.    I still have a difficult time with dogs with aggressive behaviors, but those seem to be few and far between even in rescue fostering. 

Our dogs love us with unconditional love, but as humans we tend to place 'conditions' on them.  Let's love them for who they are, with what they have brought to us, and what they give...and the rest will fall into place.  It has been proven to me over and over.    It will make for happy doggies, happy mommies and daddies, and a happy home life! Always be kind, not harsh, never abusive, always loving...give them plenty of encouragement, hugs and kisses....see what your return is...I know, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet and true Neeters! I love each of my little ones and each of their quirks give them that special individuality. They make me giggle on a daily basis and I love them for it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO grateful for your rescue and foster commitment, Anita. You have done wonderful things, (and continue to do so) for MANY pets in need. THANKS so MUCH!

    ReplyDelete