Friday, May 11, 2012

Natural Flea Control

Did you know flea eggs can hatch at 40 degrees (F)? Considering the mild winter the Midwest had this past season, the possibility of your dog getting fleas even in the 'colder' months could happen!  There are many chemical products out there for purchase, and personally, I don't like them...and neither do my dogs!

Start early to build up your dog's ability to ward these off using a brewer's yeast and garlic supplement daily.  The reason I say start early is because it will take awhile for the supplement to settle into your dog's pores.  (I use it year round as brewer's yeast is an excellent health supplement) Fleas don't like the bitter taste it leaves on the skin...so they just don't want to hang around.

Another product I use is eucalyptus oil.  You can purchase this as an essential oil at vitamin and health food stores.  I apply a drop or two to the collar or bandanna on my dog every day to every other day.  Do not put directly on the skin unless you mix it with a carrier oil (like almond oil).


These two will not kill fleas that are already there, but they ward them off, and keeping them away is what you want to do.  That is why you need to start early, and be consistent.  I have probably only had 1-2 fleas on occasion on my dogs using just the brewer's yeast/garlic.  I just recently read about the eucalyptus and started using it.  I've also found it's good to use if you have a problem with ants inside your house too.  You can put the oil on a cotton ball and place it around on your counter tops.  Always keep this out of reach from you pets. (don't want them eating a cotton ball!)

You can also buy eucalyptus in cut/dried form at craft stores.  Looks nice in a large vase and smells great!

No comments:

Post a Comment